Charlton Athletic 4-4 West Ham United (November 2001)

Goalscorers: Paul Kitson 3, 30, 64, Jason Euell 21, 28, Jonatan Johansson 51, 90, Jermain Defoe 84


Charlton Athletic: Dean Kiely, Steve Brown, Mark Fish, Paul Konchesky, Chris Powell, Luke Young (John Robinson 85), Mark Kinsella, Claus Jensen, Scott Parker (Shaun Bartlett 85), Jason Euell, Jonatan Johansson

West Ham United: Shaka Hislop, Christian Dailly, Hayden Foxe, Scott Minto (Joe Cole 63), Tomas Repka, Sebastien Schemmel, Michael Carrick, Don Hutchinson (Steve Lomas 63), Trevor Sinclair, Paolo Di Canio, Paul Kitson (Jermain Defoe 78)

Referee: Alan Wiley, Attendance: 23,198

15 days earlier, Charlton Athletic had stunned Arsenal at Highbury, inflicting a 4-2 defeat on the Gunners. The Addicks were about to score four goals again in a London Derby as they and West Ham United played out a score draw on a Monday night at The Valley in November 2001. This was a match full on entertainment and produced an acrobatic finale.

With Freddie Kanoute out due to a hamstring injury, West Ham manager Glenn Roeder sprung a surprise in his team selection for the visitors, picking Paul Kitson to start. The forward had been the forgotten man of the Premier League but found his goalscoring touch inside of three minutes. He drilled a low shot from the edge of the area off the post to give the Hammers the perfect start.

Charlton levelled proceedings on 21 minutes and in truth, it was a messy goal. Jason Euell made the most of a deflection to see the ball land in his path. He failed to connect with his first attempt at a shot but Shaka Hislop didn’t claim the ball cleanly and Euell benefited to bundle the ball over the line. Seven minutes later, the Jamaican made it three goals in his last two appearances, again finishing from close-range after West Ham defender Tomas Repka lost possession with Hislop beaten at the near post. Euell had two goals and two minutes later, so did Kitson. He benefited from an excellent combination between Scott Minto and Paolo Di Canio, tucking away his second goal of what was already turning out to be one of the games of the season so far.

It was 2-2 at half-time but parity didn’t last long into the second half. Euell’s strike partner, Jonatan Johansson got on the scoresheet. Scott Parker produced a perfect through ball that spilt the Hammers’ backline and Johansson calmly slotted his third goal of the season beyond Hislop. Roeder responded by bringing on two substitutes and on 64 minutes, they equalised again. Trevor Sinclair cut the ball back at the far post and Kitson completed his hat-trick on his return to The Valley.

Roeder then shuffled his pack again, bringing off his hat-trick hero with 13 minutes remaining and sending Jermain Defoe on. Defoe, who had recently scored his first-ever Premier League goal in West Ham’s last away game at Ipswich, would make the desired impact. Six minutes were left when his right-footed volley was struck too sweetly for Dean Kiely to do anything about it. It looked like the Hammers had pinched all the points.

However in stoppage-time, Johansson came up with a spectacular overhead kick after a flick-on by Mark Fish to level the match at 4-4. It was a fair result given the end-to-end thrills and spills of this remarkable contest.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s